Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Stop Boredom, Start Craftiness NOW



Many mothers welcome summer vacation with arms wide open. Others fear the wide open time slots and unscheduled days that the simple days of summer bring.

I for one absolutely welcome the chance for spontaneity and free time that these non-academic, non-lessoned months bring.

My sister and I were just talking about how much we despise hearing the words, "I'M BORED" fall from our children’s lips! I have to say that I haven't heard that phrase in a long time (halleluiah!). I don't take all of the credit for this fact (just a very large chunk of it!) and credit most of this occupation of mind and body to my imaginative, inventive, role-playing and very active children. They seem to find something to play at no matter what the season or environment.

(**Right now as a matter of fact, they have turned the playpen on its side, covered it with quilts and made a barricade out of sofa cushions. Voila- a fort!**)

I am always on the lookout for quality activities for children (TV, videogames and blinking toys don’t fall into that list in our home!). As a homeschooling mother, it is a "part-time job" of sorts for me to research ideas/methods/items that will enrich the minds, bodies and spirits of my little ones.

I found this adorable website recently called "Paper Toys". It carries printable versions of all sorts of toys, paper crafts and arts. Some of my favorites include "A Little Book About the Circus", a Fairy Wand and printable stickers (very stylish ones at that!) for children to make themselves. I will say that you will need plenty of black and color printer ink to "make it happen" for your kids!

Click here to end boredom and start craftiness!

2 comments:

Jason h said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I love the link, Jill. Thanks!
Sharon B.