Monday, November 26, 2012

oats and joy

Finally, an oatmeal-centered breakfast and joy all at one table.

This morning I finally got around to trying out my dear friend's recipe for Soaked Baked Oatmeal. The dish came together quite easily and even called for some improvisation, which is one of my favorite elements of baking and cooking!


Soaked Baked Oatmeal
The night before, mix the following in an 8x8 pan:

2 cups oats
1 cup yogurt (I used Plain, Whole Milk yogurt)
1/2 cup water

Cover with a kitchen towel and let soak overnight on the counter (soaking grains helps to break down phytates and makes the oatmeal more digestible and tasty!).

In a bowl, mix:

2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar (I used a few tablespoons of honey and maple syrup)
1/3 cup oil (I used coconut oil, my oil of choice when baking)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

You may also add 1-2 cups of fresh, frozen or dried fruit (I added frozen wild blueberries today).

Add this mixture to the soaked oats and mix well. Bake at 350' for 40 minutes.

Serve plain, or top with yogurt, milk, or applesauce (today we added butter and a drizzle of maple syrup).

No comments: