Monday, May 09, 2011

eating of curds and whey


We have begun making whey! It is sitting on our counter right now and we hope to make some ginger ale and some lacto-fermented vegetables with it.

The other great part is that we will also get cream cheese!

I used the recipe found in Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. I chose to used raw milk instead of the buttermilk, pima milk or yoghurt. If you are using raw milk, simply let 2 quarts sit in a clean glass container on your counter at room temperature for one to four days until it separates. Then you strain it with a clean dishtowel or cheesecloth and let it drain for several hours. The liquid is the whey and the solids or curds are the cream cheese.

I am most looking forward to the ginger ale and will certainly share our experience in this space to let everyone know how it turned out.

Have you ever made whey? Cheese?
Have you ever made your own ginger ale or ginger beer?

1 comment:

Hilaire said...

Hello. I have made whey with whole-milk yogurt. I've used it mostly for soaking grains but really look forward to trying lacto-fermented veggies and drinks. I'm interested to know if the cream cheese from the raw milk turns out as tangy as what I got from the yogurt.