Sunday, December 19, 2010

christmas. stillness. books.

I thought I would share a few books that we are currently enjoying as we prepare for Christmas and the First Day of Winter. Some of these have been our favorites for many years now and others we have just recently discovered and are loving!

The Little Fir Tree by Margaret Wise Brown
The Big Snow by Berta and Elmer Hader
B is for Bethlehem: A Christmas Alphabet by Isabel Wilner
The Tale of the Three Trees: A Traditional Folktale retold by Elwell Hunt
A Little House Christmas Treasury: Festive Holiday Stories by Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Mitten by Alvin Tresselt
The Tomten by Astrid Lindgren

We are officially on Christmas break and plan on spending lots of time reading over the next few weeks. In addition to our favorite picture books, we plan on reading about the birth of Christ in Luke 2:1-20. This passage of Scripture is very special to me. I memorized it at a very early age and it has stayed with me every since. I would love for my children to commit it to memory as well.

I am finding myself entering into a very quiet, humbled emotional state this week as I prepare to celebrate the greatest gift ever given to humankind. I don't know that I've felt this way in the past, but for whatever reason I am feeling overwhelmed with stillness, peace and humbleness this year as I look forward to Christmas.

For some reason, this photo of Luca really seems to capture all of what I am feeling these days and just thought I would share it (in addition to making it a part of my blog banner for the Christmas Season).


A good friend of mine has also passed on this link to a Free Jesse Tree Advent Devotional Book. I found it late during the Advent Season so decided not to start it this year, but it looks like something that could really be quite sacred and memorable for a family to experience together.

What is your family reading these days?
Do you use an Advent Calendar to countdown to Christmas?

No comments: