Thursday, October 07, 2010

the best things in life

"The best things in life are nearest: breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes, flowers at your feet, duties at your hand, the path of right just before you.

They do not grasp at the stars, but do life's plain, common work as it comes, certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life."

-Robert Louis Stevenson


It is so difficult to stop, appreciate, find the beauty in and cherish the things in life which we experience most often. These days I find myself alone with my children for nearly twelve hours at a time on most days. It is a season in which my husband is working so very long and hard so that the future will be so very fulfilling and purposeful. I am digging deep to find the energy, focus, patience and vision needed to do this plain, common work by myself on most days. But I am reminded by this poem that these daily duties and daily bread are indeed the sweetest things in life and feel so very blessed to be able to care for my family and home like I am doing these days.

I find it extremely important to engage in Mother Culture on a daily basis and have been trying to make it a priority each day to read, pray and reach out in order to find what is needed to be the mother that I was made to be.

Here a few places I have been spending my time- some old favorites and some new finds:

My Utmost for His Highest (certainly an old favorite- my daily devotional for over a decade now)
The Parenting Passageway (serious nuggets of wisdom on a daily basis coming from a woman with a heart for gentle parenting)
Mitten Strings for God (if you haven't already, you really must)

I cannot say how thankful I am for my friends as of late. Just when I need encouragement and love my friends are there like soothing balm ready and willing to help heal my wounds. I have been incredibly blesses with so many wonderful relationships in my life. Words cannot really express just how important it is to stay connected with those who mean the most to us even during the fullness of days that motherhood brings.


1 comment:

Jackie said...

what an encouraging poem...i love RLS.
funny thing, i posted a poem today too. hmm.