Saturday, March 27, 2010

spring cleaning

These days my mind and actions are drawn to tasks such as putting together spring wardrobes for the children, replacing outgrown shoes and rain boots, planning for the summer garden, spring cleaning, prettying up my home and of course, childbirth.

It is during this time of year that spring fever usually strikes... and with good reason. We in the homeschooling community are not immune to the gentle tugging of our hearts, minds and limbs to leave it (the schooling) all behind and plunge ourselves into the new scenery that awaits us and calls eagerly from right outside of our front doors.

But we must resist leaving it all behind!

Instead it is an opportune moment to reassess our homeschool and to try and spend more portions of our day out-of-doors doing, being and experiencing. A time to see where each child is at in their schooling and ponder their progress and what they need most. A time to revisit our purpose as homeschooling families and remind ourselves why we have chosen the path less traveled.

This post over at The Parenting Passageway spoke directly to these concerns and ambitions. It is a must-read for homeschoolers and non-homeschoolers alike who are looking to do a bit of spring cleaning of the mind!

** It was interesting and nostalgic to revisit my homeschool recipe that I wrote last summer. I think I'm in need of some more recipe writing and tweaking over the next few weeks. It's always great to see how our philosophies evolve and change. **

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Thanks for linking to me! You know, I too, love to look back on what homeschooling was like, or even in the very early years before I really hit the grades, what I thought homeschooling was going to be like...It is nice to settle into something like a comfy chair that can get a good new pillow here and there..but the comfy chair is still the base, the foundation, the structure. :)
Many blessings,

Carrie