Thursday, July 12, 2007

ripe

We spent the morning at a local berry farm picking blueberries that were SO ripe they practically dropped into your palm! Of course, more blueberries made their way into the mouths of the three smaller pickers that were in tow than did into their pails!

The scene was reminiscent of a story told in one of our favorite books, Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey.

“Little Sal picked three berries and dropped them in her little tin pail… kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk! She picked three more berries and ate them.”



Elias enjoyed his first time berry picking and actually seemed more interested in the bushes themselves than in eating the blueberries. Sophia got hot and found shade under a blueberry bush. And Nicolas was by my side really making a good effort to pick nice, big, blue blueberries. He was really my only “helper”!

I think we’ll make a blueberry pie with some of the berries. I made a blueberry crumb pie for the Fourth of July and it was a big hit. This time I’ll add vanilla ice cream on the side.

As for using up the rest of the berries… that won’t be a problem. I can already see the bottom of my crate after the kids devoured them this morning and then again this afternoon! I will never refuse a child who is asking for fruit!

2 comments:

Nesting Momma said...

love that book. Looks like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Jill...
Your humor, witt, honesty is refreshing and inspiring... You're blog is wonderful! I'll be in touch.
Raenal