Monday, January 10, 2011

my reality

I am not one to make new year's resolutions. It seems that I am always striving for some ideal or another and find it unnecessary to pick one day out of the year to start making changes toward these ideals.

At one point a few years ago, I took a series of greuling personality tests alongside my husband as he set out to apply for a new job. It turned out that I was categorized as an idealist, and a very specific type at that. It was no surprise to me. I am always seeing what could be, the possibilities that exist in a situation and always underestimate the effect of my current reality on my ideals.

I have been giving this a lot of long, hard thought over the last few months.

What I have realized is that by balancing my desire for the best, the fullest, the ideal with the reality of my current situation in life- be it financial, time constraints, resources, energy and my family life- there is the ability for a lot of peace and contentment in my life. I have been practicing this. It is hard. It is important. I must do it.

This new-found way of thinking has been creating a big lull around here. There has been an absence of anything big, grandiose or new adventures and I am alright with that. I have been focusing on the people around me more and the love and commitment that I have for them. It has been reconfirmed for me that people are more important than things- bigger than causes or educational philosophies or ideals. It has felt simple. I am content.

No comments: