Thursday, September 10, 2009

our maple cinnamon granola story

Feeling especially domestic today. Today was a day for clean sheets, meal (and dessert) planning for the next week and a day to bake a batch of granola to enjoy for breakfasts in the weeks to come.

My recipe for granola is, like many of my other recipes- a spin-off of some original recipe I collected years ago. I have turned my granola into something a little different from the normal honey and oats recipe.

Mine goes a little like this...

Maple-Cinnamon Granola

18 ozs whole rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 maple syrup
2 T cinnamon
2T vanilla
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
Mix the dry oats and cinnamon. Melt the coconut oil in a glass measuring cup and add the maple syrup and vanilla to that same cup. Pour over oats. Mix by hand in large bowl until well combined. Mix in seeds and nuts. Bake on large cookie sheet in oven preheated to 250' for about 45 mins, stirring half-way through.
Add raisins or dried cranberries after granola is done baking.

As I write this, our entire house is filled with this oh-so good maple and cinnamon aroma that is intoxicating enough to even lure the children in from outdoors. "What is that yummy smell", they ask. As I lead them to the oven for a peek, many oohs and aahs are heard. And then the disappointing news that the granola is for breakfast tomorrow morning. The room becomes silent and a row of tiny heads towards the floor in defeat.

An urgent message of encouragement is needed by all and they are looking to me to provide them with some redeeming news.

I think fast. Weigh the options. Consider that my husband will not be with us for dinner tonight. And make a momentary decision that will deliver both delight to the heart and good nutrition to the bodies of my dear little ones.

Granola is delicious on yogurt as well. And with a little fruit? Perhaps this will become tonight's dinner.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

yum. might need to try that one! and it sounds like a great dinner to me tho' i doubt my kids would agree. but then, you know them...

Amanda said...

Thank you for posting that recipe! It sounds so yummy.

So glad you were quick on your feet and made it a great dinner.