Saturday, January 17, 2009

Our Master Seamstress

Often times some of the best conversations of the day between parent and child happen as they are being tucked snugly into their beds. I don't know these exchanges come from a genuine desire to reflect upon the day's happenings or if they are merely attempts to prolong bedtime just a few minutes more.

Whatever the case, I don't mind. I live for these moments with my kids and would stay up until midnight if I had to just in order to quench their thirst for knowledge and satisfy their little curiosities about the universe.

Tonight as I was tucking the boys in, Nicolas started to ask me about why it was dark out and where the sun went. We had been talking a bit this week about the earth and it's shape and gravity and such. Well as we all know, these little nuggets of information get stored in some little corner of a child's brain and are mulled over and over until of course they are ready to formulate a question on their own to obtain more information about the subject.

We started talking about God's power and creativity and how he created the universe. Nicolas just couldn't believe how amazing it was that God created the earth and the people on it. He asked me if God created outer space as well and I told him that He did. He asked on and on about what God made and remained in a perpetual state of awe at the wonders of God's handiwork. He asked me who the first person was, which surprised me because we've read and discussed Genesis a few times now, but I obliged his request and told him that Adam was the first human and then Eve.

I could see the wheels turning and he just couldn't believe that God created humans, and buffalo and trees and moose and the list when on and on.

I told Nicolas that God chose to create him too. I shared some of my favorite Scripture with him-
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made... -Psalm 139: 13, 14a
His eyes widened and he took a deep breath and said,
"Mom, you mean that God actually sewed me together?"
"Basically yes", I replied

And then he said,
"I can't believe that God is that good at sewing"!
I agree Nicolas! I can't believe how good God is at sewing...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,
I have been thinking the same thing...My daughter, now 2.5 and I have the most amazing conversations while snuggling in bed and I just LOVE it. She always asks me "What did we do today?" and we go through it all, remembering little things, and when we're finished she has been saying "Tell me about something." I just feel like that something that I tell her is such an opportunity to tuck my love into her mind to mull over in dreamland, and it looks like you and Nicholas had such a special exchange. Loved your last post about homeschooling too...
Your writing is great, I love reading your posts.

Anonymous said...

do you see the tear on my cheek?

I need to melow at bed time. My Tabi is a night time question asker...I need to enjoy it, we don't have to get up for the school bus! Deep breath!
Your son is amazing!

Katrina said...

What a precious memory you've recorded here of how innocent and full of wonder our children are. I love what he said about the verse you shared... children have such faith and just take everything at face value, don't they. Beautiful.

Kristen Taylor said...

I read your post this afternoon..but I didn't get a chance to post a comment. I really love reading your blog and I can only imagine how busy you are in a day + finding the time to write..

Anonymous said...

I thought my days of being "choked up" or crying over wonderful things was over. But Nicolas brought my softer, sensitive side out in me again. And of course, the picture you posted is one of my most favorite. Love J.L. Seagull

Jackie said...

oh my gosh...tears have sprung to my eyes! how precious is he?!

Kate said...

Ah, those bedtime musings. They could not get any better. When my eldest was three, we were sitting on the edge of his bed when he looked at me and said, "Did you know, mama, that God has no middle or beginning or end? He just is." And I think about that still, almost seven years later, and smile.