Saturday, April 19, 2008

acting out

The theme of my afternoon yesterday was laughter. I had the chance to meet up with an old friend. I first met my friend Jessica in freshman English class nearly 17 years ago. We instantly connected on a level unknown to most friends- a level of pure comedic relief. We're talking one continuous SNL skit after another. We started inventing characters, using voice-overs, practicing impersonations and dishing out impromptu skits in high school and needless to say, we are still acting out to this day.

When trying to choose a place to meet, we knew that no proper establishment would be the right setting for us to have lunch and "reconnect". After all, it had been one year since our last get together and we knew that there was a year's worth of happenings to talk/laugh about.

We knew that the laughter would soon turn to tears and that one's tears would only edge the other to even further hysteria. After a somewhat composed lunch, we quickly headed to a grassy hill where we knew we could laugh away the afternoon.

It was all so nostalgic- sitting on the grass, soaking up the sun, laughing and drinking iced tea. This is how most, if not all, of our spring afternoons were spent in high school.

Thank you Jess for a spectacular break from the norm and a chance to laugh until it hurt.

3 comments:

Kristen Taylor said...

that sounds like a great day..

thanks for leaving love on my blog! :) i think we walked by you guys the other night..taking our after dinner walk..(red wagon)

i wasn't 100% sure, so i didn't say anything! my husband called me a chicken! :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog is such a breath of fresh air. I just love your writings! I love the poetic way that you "speak" thank you for such inspiration in this busy time for me filled with change!
I've been thinking of you as I wrote this post below on the Blessed Nest Blog. I'm participating in a breastfeeding carnival, something you may be interested in next time?
breastfeeding carnival

Blessings, Donna

Unknown said...

All my love to you, Jillina. I felt like I was 16 again when we reached maximum capacity gigglefest. We will have to do that again really soon, and be sure to once again, hold nothing back and laugh and talk the hours away. :)